At last, you have decided to utilize the free outdoor space and build yourself a deck that appraises the value of your house. As the next step, you are planning to hire licensed contractors for all the hard work. Before finalizing everything, you need to check all the decking options considering both the options to build a plastic or wooden deck.
Both are winners! You won’t be making the wrong decision whether you select any of these. Wood is the popular choice for decking, but needs more maintenance & care. Composite material comes with more durability, low maintenance, but it lacks the natural look and colour of the wood.
Today, synthetic wood accumulates around 16 per cent of the $7 billion-per-year deck market and is still getting popular day by day.
Again, it all depends on your requirements. You must consider multiple metrics such as cost, maintenance, durability to choose between wooded/composite decks. This article highlights all the advantages and disadvantages to help you in deciding the right building material for your deck.
Pros of Composite Decking
Composite Decks are made from recycled materials, wooden fibres and some bonding agents. It looks and feels similar to the traditional wooden decks made from timber.
Here are some of the advantages of Composite Decking:
- Low maintenance: Composite decks cost less maintenance than the normal wood, without getting any stains, repainted, and replaced with decay. If you are planning to use your deck for a longer period, then a composite deck should be your first preference.
- Variety of colours: The composite deck comes with a vast variety of colours, and you can choose the one that goes with the look of your house. Unlike wooden decks because you do not have to paint them to match with your house’s exterior.
- Recycled materials: The composite decks are the first choice for all environmentalists, as it is made from recycled materials. Hence, composite decks are eco-friendly and no trees are harmed in the process.
- Improved durability: A lot of manufacturers are providing composite decks made from hard plastic shells to improve durability, as these are less prone to staining, fading, scratching and moulds.
Disadvantages of Composite Decking:
- Cost: The cost of composite decks is higher than traditional wooden decks. The extra durability comes with a premium price tag, and it is 15-20% more expensive than the wooden decks.
- Artificial: Composite decks are made to look like wood, but it is not real wood. Even though the deck looks like real wood, nothing matches the finish and feel of real wood. Hence, if you like the look and feel of real wood, then a timber deck should be your first choice.
- Multiple warranty packages: There are multiple types of composite deck materials available and you need to compare all of these together. Consult with your licensed contractor for stains and fade warranties. Make sure that you select the composite deck that aligns with your long term/short term goals.
In case if you want more information, then you can refer to the following blog: Custom Deck Choices for Your house: Which one is the best?
Once you have decided on the deck, then you should consult with a professional decking expert. Hiring a decking expert is crucial because they have a lot of practical knowledge about decking and you can use that to build the best deck for your home. Also, there are certain rules described by your local authorities and you need to follow them. A professional will guide you through the whole process and make sure that your investment is safe!
We at JVK and Sons Construction look forward to helping our clients. We care and value your time and investment. We serve across the suburbs of Brisbane, chapel hill, Fairfield, Wavell heights, Carindale, and the neighbourhoods of Donnybrook Moggill.
Our decking experts are ready to work, and we provide services for:
- Timber Decking
- Composite Decking
- Merbau Decking
In case if you have any inquiries then you can get in touch with us and get a free assessment today.
Start building your dream deck today!